Successful portraits are a true collaboration between client and artist. Tom's process
typically includes these steps:
1. An initial consultation to discuss the size, spirit and details of the portrait.
2. Photograph the subject to explore pose, styling, background and expression. This session
can be scheduled at Tom's studio in Greensboro or at a location of your choice. After reviewing
the results together, the final composition of the painting is developed. For posthumous
portraits, Tom will work with you to select appropriate photo reference from personal or
3. Prepare a small preliminary study for your review, reflecting the size, style and composition
of the portrait. At this stage, the final size of the painting is determined and the frame
is chosen. (Clients most often prefer that Tom work with them to select an appropriate archival-quality
4. Create the painting in the studio using the finest materials on premium linen canvas,
resulting in a portrait that will last for many generations.
5. Lastly, Tom prefers a final sitting with the subject upon delivery; when that is not
possible, he will ship the portrait directly to the client.
All portraits are priced after the individual requirements for the project are discussed.
Fees begin at $6,500.00 for a child's head-and-shoulders portrait of average complexity,
painted approximately life-size. Fees increase proportionally for half-figure, three quarter-figure
and full-figure poses and may vary according to the complexity of the background. Discounts
are extended for multiple subjects in the same portrait.
Fees do not include framing, applicable sales taxes, or travel and shipping expenses. Preliminary
costs, such as travel, are billed when incurred, and a non-refundable deposit of 40% is
due when painting begins. The balance is due upon final approval and acceptance of the portrait.
Please contact Tom for further information.