Cyd Wicker consciously and carefully works to capture the essence of each subject she paints. She studied at West Texas State University, in Canyon, Texas, Yale School of Music and Art in Norfolk, Connecticut, and most notably Atelier Lack, with Richard Lack in Minneapolis, Minnesota. She was a recipient of the Ellen Beattel Stoechel scholarship from Yale University and awarded an internship from the National Collection of Fine Arts, Washington D.C.
Wishing to help preserve the traditionalist credos of truth to nature and beauty of design, Cyd teaches classical methods of drawing and painting and is co director of The Atelier Studio Program of Fine Art.
Cyd's work is represented in the book Realism in Revolution: The Art of the Boston School and several exhibition catalogs including The Academic Dialogue, a Minneapolis Institute of Arts exhibition.
Cyd has served on the Minneapolis Artist Exhibition panel at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts and was an associate guild member of the American Society of Classical Realism.
She has exhibited at the Guild of Boston Artists in Boston, Massachusetts; Uihlein Peters Gallery in Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Heritage Art Gallery in Alexandria, Virginia; Addison Art Gallery in Addison, Texas; Santa Fe Contract and Design in Odessa, Texas; Minneapolis Institute of Arts in Minneapolis, Minnesota; Honeywell in Minneapolis and various shows in Minnetonka, Minneapolis and Saint Paul, Minnesota.
Cyd Wicker has paintings in private and public collections. Notable portraits she has painted in Minneapolis and Saint Paul, Minnesota are:
- Monsignor Terrence J. Murphy, Chancellor of the University of St. Thomas
- Dr. Claude Hitchcock, Chief of Surgery, Hennepin County Medical Center, (Ret.)
- Chief Justice Robert Sheran, Minnesota State Supreme Court
- James VanHouten, President of Mutual Insurance Services
- Eugene Nugent, Chairman of the Board/CEO Pentair Corporation
- Archbishop John Roach, Archdiocese of St. Paul, Minnesota
- Ann E. Bancroft, Arctic/Antarctic Explorer
- Dr. Luann Dummer, founder of The Women's Center at the University of St. Thomas
- Seven past presidents and the current president of Title Insurance of Minnesota
- Ann Carlson, daughter of Governor Arnie Carlson
- The Wasie Foundation founders, Stan, Marie and Donald Wasie.
- United States District Court Judges
Wicker has also painted portraits of President Jimmy Carter, President Ronald Reagan, and President Bill Clinton for the Presidential Museum in Odessa, Texas.